Born to an unnamed mother and father in Brooklyn, New York, Sam's dream from a very early age was to be a Navy SEAL.
As a child, Sam was sent to school by his father who was a Colonel with his father disciplining young Sam very hard. Colonel Hanna was also disappointed when Sam chose to join the Navy instead of the Marine Corps.
After finishing high school, Sam presumably enlisted in the Navy and finally achieved his dream of becoming a SEAL.
During his time as a SEAL, Sam served in Bosnia, Afghanistan and Iraq. While on one mission in Bosnia, Sam along with another member of his unit, Dickerson were both captured and tortured before being buried alive.
Dickerson who was shot later succumbed to his wounds and died while Sam was eventually rescued by the other members of their team.
At some point, Sam met and befriended Lieutenant Commander Steve McGarrett (2010) with Steve promising Sam a steak dinner.
Sam eventually left the military with the rank of Senior Chief Petty Officer and applied to join NCIS which resulted in him being assigned to the Office of Special Projects in Los Angeles.
NCIS Season 6
Like the other members of the OSP team, Sam made his debut appearance during the Season 6/backdoor pilot episode, Legend Part 1 (episode) where he was seen assisting fellow agent Kensi Blye tracking down Marine Nick Chandler.
Sam was also present when Callen was left gravely wounded in a drive-by shooting during Legend Part 2 (episode) and after shooting at the assassins who later fled, arrived on scene, tending to Callen while also calling for an ambulance as Sam urged Callen to stay with him.
NCIS: Los Angeles Season 1
NCIS: Los Angeles Season 2
NCIS: Los Angeles Season 3
In "Pa Make Loa", a crossover with NCIS: Los Angeles and also a part of Hawaii Five-0 Season 2, Sam traveled with Callen to Hawaii after learning of Dracul Comescu's presence in Hawaii.
NCIS: Los Angeles Season 4
During the season, it was revealed that Sam's wife, Michelle Hanna is in fact an undercover CIA agent codenamed "Quinn". The two met eight years previously on a failed mission to capture Russian arms dealer, Isaak Sidorov.
Sam and Deeks were both later captured by Sidorov and his men with Deeks being tortured as a helpless Sam looked on.
NCIS: Los Angeles Season 5
NCIS: Los Angeles Season 6
Hand to Hand Combat
Sam is an expert at hand-to-hand combat and is often capable of fighting back if need be. He is also able to incapacitate his opponents by any means necessary.
Sam is also skilled at interrogating the various suspects that the main NCIS: Office of Special Projects team often arrest.
- Is the only known member of OSP to be married. He was a wife, Michelle Hanna aka "Quinn" who is a former CIA agent with the two having a young daughter, Kamran. Sam also has a son named Aiden who currently attends military school.
- He is very proud of his time as a SEAL, which can be analogous to NCIS Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs's own history as a Marine.
- He and Callen have been partners for more than five years.
- Like Special Agent Timothy McGee, Sam is afraid of maggots as revealed in "Brimstone". He and McGee are also left-handed although he was seen writing with his right hand.
- He has Coulrophobia (fear of Clowns) and hates Snakes.
- He drives a Dodge Challenger SRT-8.