Special Agent Riley McCallister is a retired NCIS Special Agent in Charge.
He attended a recent NCIS review conference, though the conference was a deception orchestrated by NCIS Director Leon Vance and Mossad Director Eli David to expose the mastermind behind what had really happened in Operation Trident in 1991.
During the 1990s McCallister directed two operations to kill the Russian arms dealer, Anatoli Zhukov and his companion. The first operation in Amsterdam involved Agents Sharp, Nelson and Vance.
Unknown to everyone but McCallister this operation was a farce to have Vance killed and shift the focus from Al-Queda to the Russians. This however failed when Eli David saved Vance and killed the hit team. The second operation in Paris was McCallister covering his tracks which involved Gibbs, Jenny Shepard and William Decker. In this operation Anatoly was killed but his fiancé survived the attack.
McCallister ended his career as the Special Agent in Charge of the San Diego office.
Riley McCallister later divulged Svetlana information on Anatoly's killers. He then employed Svetlana during Judgment Day Part 1 (episode) to murder Director Shepard, directing Svetlana's desire for revenging Zhukov's assassination and turning it to his own nefarious purposes.
After his retirement he attended the NCIS review conference. It was shown that he was using a cane to aid his walking process although it is presumed that some sort of injury might be responsible for that. The conference revealed that McCallister aspired to become the Director of NCIS, and was driven to destroy or stunt the careers of those agents he perceived as threats. He orchestrated the assassination of Director Shepard, and he attempted twice to kill Vance by rigging the safe-house Vance was in with claymore mines and the second time by injecting a lethal dose of morphine into Vance's system in hopes of finally ending Vance's life. But McCallister had misjudged Vance and ended up fatally wounded when Vance stabbed him in the chest with a knife that Gibbs had originally given to Vance as a means of protection.
Despite doctors attempting to treat McCallister, the injuries were too severe and as such, McCallister died seconds later.
Loud and brash, McCallister has no respect or patience for the younger NCIS agents as seen when he threatens to whack McGee with his cane. But McCallister has his own motives and is driven by a ruthless, overwhelming desire to become NCIS Director by any means possible, even if it means killing the Agents that he deems are standing in his way, Jenny Shepard and Leon Vance being among those listed.
- The following were involved in the hotel bombing:
- Leon Vance- (Hired Anatoly Zukov to kill him but failed).
- The following were targets of the second assassination operation:
- The following were targets of Svetlana and her hit squad:
- William Decker- (Murdered with his death being disguised to make it look like he had suffered a heart attack).
- Sasha Gordon- (Was a woman who had a relationship with William Decker. Svetlana's men killed her by pushing her off a parking lot with the impact breaking Sasha's neck, resulting in her death immediately after telling them about Decker's insurance policy. Her body was later found by the Los Angeles Police Department and Anthony DiNozzo and Ziva David who alerted Jenny to Svetlana's presence in Los Angeles).
- Jennifer Shepard- (Was left injured during the gunfight in the diner and later died from her wounds).
- Leroy Jethro Gibbs- (Svetlana attempted to kill him but Mike Franks saved him by shooting Svetlana in the back).
- McCallister was played by American actor Michael O'Neill. This is his second time working alongside Mark Harmon (Leroy Jethro Gibbs) as the two previously had starred in the TV series, "The West Wing", playing Secret Service Agents.