The NCIS team investigate when a Marine is found murdered in his garage but things take a turn when they discover that the main suspect is in fact a witness under the protection of the FBI with FBI agent Tobias Fornell leading the team as the suspect is due to testify against a Mob Boss and the investigation grows even more intense when the suspect is caught, fleeing from a crime scene that has the body of another Marine in it. Meanwhile, Ziva's plans for a vacation in Tel Aviv trigger Tony's interest and in the process of snooping around, Tony also finds a photo of a mysterious man on Ziva's desk.
Elizabeth Adler is busy jogging down a street in D.C., and as soon as she reaches a house, she stops, obviously out of breath as she begins walking instead.
She then leans over to pick up a newspaper and mutters "Oh, crap" upon noticing that there's a flat tyre on her car.
Placing the paper onto top of her car, she opens the door and searches for her tools stored inside her car but finds that the tool box is empty.
Some time later, she knocks on a door, informing Rob that it's Liz from next door but there's no answer.
Adler then heads around to the back of the house, slipping in via a gate. She then heads for the garage, opening the door but finds the place shrouded in darkness.
She then calls for Rob but again there's no reply.
She tries to switch the lights out but the power's gone.
Alder then heads inside, approaching a table where various tools and a tool box are sitting. She then opens the tool box but is disgusted to find that it's covered in some liquid.
She then wipes it on her sports jumper.
She then finds a tool drenched in more liquid and wipes her right hand on her pants.
Grabbing a big lightbulb on the table, Alder switches it on before shining it over the toolbox where it's discovered that all the tools are drenched in blood.
She then realizes to her horror that blood is on her jumper and pants too.
Alder staggers but then ends up bumping into the lifeless of Sergeant Robert Brewer who hangs suspended from the ceiling, gagged, his arms bound and his chest soaked.
It then cuts to an overhead shot showing Alder looking at Brewer's lifeless body while she continues screaming hysterically.
The apartment is now a crime scene and as McGee takes photographs, DiNozzo tells McGee that it was nothing like a good manicure.
Ziva then calls Tony's name and then throws him an evidence bag containing fingernails while grimly remarking that this was nothing like a good manicure.
- Abby reveals that she has a niece.
- McGee reveals that he has a friend named Richie at the U.S Marshal's Office.
- Abby hints that she has an interest in mold.
- Tony finds a photo of Ziva's Mossad partner and boyfriend, Michael Rivkin.
- At the beginning of the episode, Tony makes a reference to the movie, "Ordinary People". The movie which was released in 1980 and also marked the directional debut of Robert Redford was based on a book of the same name by Judith Guest with the movie starring Donald Sutherland, Mary Tyler Moore and Timothy Hutton. Hutton won an Oscar in 1981 for his role as Supporting Actor with Ordinary People becoming Hutton's most recognized role to date up until 2010 when Hutton appeared in the now-cancelled TV series, "Leverage", playing former insurance investigator, Nathan "Nate" Ford who leads a group of criminals dedicated to righting any wrongs or injustices normal civilians have suffered.
- Also, while in the squad-room, if you look closely, it's obvious that Tony's reading his comic book upside down.
|Leroy Jethro Gibbs||Mark Harmon||NCIS Special Agent in charge of the NCIS Major Case Response Team.|
|Anthony DiNozzo||Michael Weatherly||Senior Special Agent and second-in-command of the NCIS Major Case Response Team.|
|Ziva David||Cote de Pablo||Mossad/NCIS Liaison Officer and a member of the NCIS Major Case Response Team.|
|Timothy McGee||Sean Murray (actor)||Junior Special Agent of the NCIS Major Case Response team.|
|Abigail Sciuto||Pauley Perrette||Forensic Specialist associated with the NCIS Major Case Response Team.|
|Leon Vance||Rocky Carroll||Director of NCIS. Doesn't appear in the episode.|
|Donald Mallard||David McCallum||Chief Medical Examiner associated with the NCIS Major Case Response Team.|
|Senior Special Agent Tobias Fornell||Joe Spano||Supervisory Agent, FBI.|
|James Palmer||Brian Dietzen||Assistant Medical Examiner, NCIS.|
|Michael Rivkin||Merik Tadros||Mossad Agent. Uncredited role.|
|Sergeant Jack Kale, USMC||Jon Huertas||NCO United States Marines. Huertas subsequently reprised the role of Sgt. Kale in Caged (episode).|
|Rick Azari||Ray Abruzzo||Mob Boss killed by Kale.|
|Elizabeth Adler||Mercedes Renard||The woman who discovered the body of Robert Brewer.|
|Stefano Delmar||Mark Allan Stewart||Guard to Azari and his successor.|
|Agent Bruce Rivers||Matthew Mahaney||FBI Agent.|
|Cindy Ames||Gina St. John||Reporter with ZNN.|
|FBI Administrative Assistant||Lauren Rose Lewis||FBI Employee.|
|Rose Woodhouse||Naama Kates||Uncredited Appearance.|
|Young Rose Woodhouse||Charlene Geisler||Uncredited appearance.|