NCIS: New Orleans is a spin-off series of NCIS executive produced by Mark Harmon and Gary Glasberg. The pilot episode aired toward the end of NCIS Season 11 as the 2-part episode Crescent City (episode) and Crescent City Part 2 (episode).
The series is shot on location in New Orleans. NCIS: New Orleans will feature investigative cases from Pensacola through Mississippi and Louisiana to the Texas panhandle.
- NCIS Special Agent Dwayne Cassius Pride (Scott Bakula) – A charismatic and full of life, a man who savours every moment but can be rock-solid and strong when needed.
- NCIS Special Agent Christopher LaSalle (Lucas Black) - A handsome, born-and-bred Louisiana, a former Sheriff's deputy who's been through some rough times. He is originally from Alabama.
- NCIS Special Agent Meredith "Merri" Brody (Zoe McLellan) - A full of insights, no-nonsense, put together, a government employee façade on an Ivy League mind, Brody is Grace Kelly-like in her class, pomp and circumstance.
- Dr. Loretta Wade (C. C. H. Pounder) - A outspoken and seriously on her game. She's often intentionally full of contradictions.
- Sebastian Lund (Rob Kerkovich) - Dr. Wade's lab assistant.
- Special Agent D. Pride's wife, Linda Pride will be played by Paige Turco.
- Dr. Donald Mallard appeared in the premiere episode as part of video conference with Dr. Loretta Wade.
- Anthony DiNozzo, the second-in-command of the NCIS Major Case Team Response Team and the Senior Special Agent on the team as well as a man who refers to himself as the "Plague Whisperer" in the preview for the episode due to the fact that he unknowingly received the plague in the past will appear in the second episode as part of the investigative team investigating a case involving the plague.
- Gary Glasberg has also stated that NCIS Director Leon Vance and FBI Agent Tobias Fornell will have recurring roles in the new series.
- Vance and NCIS Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs will appear in the second and third episode of the series while Forensic Scientist Abigail Sciuto will also appear in the second episode. In the latter, Vance and Gibbs supply the New Orleans team with a hunt for a well-known Eastern European international criminal captured the year before and who escaped, and later a mole within the Navy.
- Agent Fornell will be appearing in the fifth episode of the series.
- This is the second time Zoe McLellan has appeared in a series associated with the NCIS franchise. She originally appeared in NCIS's parent series, JAG as Petty Officer Jennifer Coates.
- Scott Bakula previously starred in Quantum Leap, which was created by Donald Bellisario, the creator of NCIS.
- It was made official May 9th 2014 that NCIS New Orleans will air 2014-2015 on CBS.
- The first season of NCIS: New Orleans will start September 23rd 2014 and will air directly following NCIS.
- The second episode will feature a crossover between NCIS: New Orleans and the standard NCIS series.
- With Abigail Sciuto's appearance in the second episode, this means that she will be the first-ever character to have not only appeared in JAG but also all three NCIS shows- NCIS, NCIS: Los Angeles and NCIS: New Orleans.
- Lucas Black, Christopher Lasalle's portayal actor, is also from Alabama.